MFA Oil Company is a growing, farmer-owned energy supply cooperative with a long record of success. Founded in 1929, we have grown to become one of the country’s leading propane, refined fuel and lubricant suppliers and we are looking for people with the right blend of experience and knowledge to join our team.
This position is responsible for processing monthly, quarterly and annual filings of all sales/use tax returns and federal/state fuel excise tax returns, monthly filings of federal and state refund claims, and reconciliation of GL sales/excise tax accounts. Works with Indirect Tax Manager to provide guidance and support specific sales, use and excise tax for the department.
We offer competitive compensation plans, profit sharing and affordable benefit options. If you want to work for a company that invests in employee development and offers opportunities for advancement, join the MFA Oil team today!
MFA Oil Company is an Equal Opportunity/Drug-Free Employer.
• Prepare assigned monthly, quarterly, and annual sales and use tax filings with all state and local jurisdictions.
• Prepare assigned monthly, quarterly, and annual excise tax filings with federal and all state jurisdictions.
• Prepare assigned monthly state and federal refund claims.
• Reconciliation of sales and excise accrual and liability GL accounts.
• Perform self-audits on a periodic basis to ensure compliance with sales and use tax laws and federal/state motor fuel laws as directed by Indirect Tax Manager.
• Assist with sales/use tax audits and/or federal/state excise tax audits. Including research to remove audit items, addressing audit findings by addressing changes needed in current process, systems or education of employees as directed by Indirect Tax Manager.
• Responsible for keeping up with sales, use and excise tax rate changes, law changes, sales and/or federal exemption changes.
• Assist with the exemption certificate document collection and retention process.
• Know and adhere to company policies and procedures.
• Follow posted work schedule, and adhere to proper clocking procedures to accurately reflect hours worked.
• Maintain timely and professional communication with management, employees, vendors and customers. Keep supervisor informed of any problems and/or any issues that need attention.
• Other duties as assigned
• B.S. degree in Business; focus on tax preferred.
• At least one year multi-state sales and use tax work in a public accounting firm or equivalent medium/large corporate tax department preferred.
• Experience with Vertex, Avalara and/or Oracle JDE/EnterpriseOne systems preferred.
• Ability to speak, read, write, and understand the English language to communicate with customers, coworkers, and supervisors.
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong analytical skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines with a high degree of time management skills
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment is essential
• Able to perform detail work with accuracy
• Ability to grasp new concepts quickly
• Ability to work well with others
• Ability to work at a fast pace
• Ability to set priorities and goals and develop plans for achieving them